Animation Academy (grades 7-12), July 16 - 20, 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at Reed College
- Bring your art to life through animation! Create your own short, animated movie using Adobe Flash® software. Get the “tricks of the trade” from a professional animator, such as techniques animation studios use to develop their ideas into award-winning animated films. Apply some Principles of Animation such as Staging, Squash & Stretch, Timing and Anticipation to make your characters’ movements more lifelike and believable. Add a few synchronized sound effects to enhance your film!
Coding Camp: Computer Science Essentials (grades 6-8), July 23 - 27, 9 AM - 3:30 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at La Salle Catholic College Preparatory
- Dig into computer science from the ground up! Programming is the new literacy in this digital age. Learn computer programming skills and concepts such as binary numbers, image representation, sorting algorithms, and more through hands-on projects. Build your own tiny computer to learn how embedded systems can interact with the real world through "sensing and acting." Includes take-home Arduino kit.
CyberAcademy: Hacker Defense Training (grades 9-12), July 16 - 20, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM, Five meetings, Mon. - Fri., except Thursday 9:30 AM - 4 PM, at PSU
- Encrypt, defend and exploit. In our expanding cyber world nothing is secure, only well-protected. Dive into the world of cyber security as you practice applying concepts centered on HTTP protocol, authentication issues, web-application-logic flaws, and other security issues. Learn to examine compiled software, determine its purpose, and analyze its weaknesses. Train to recognize the vulnerability inherent in the web, from scraping personal information to phishing. This academy is comprised of individual classes covering Web Security, Cyber Vulnerability, and Embedded Security. Students will be exposed to careers in this fast-growing field through activities such as field trips and industry professional guest speakers.
Game Development Camp (grades 7-9), June 25 - 29, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Five meetings, Mon. - Fri., at SA-Beaverton
- Encrypt, Design, program and beta-test your video game. Create advanced and graphical games with the state of the art Unity Game Editor. Learn object-oriented design and how to create user-friendly programs using Game Maker Studio 2. Learn concepts and skills to create characters and objects for your game.
Geek Chic: Computer Camp for Girls
(grades 4-5), July 30 - Aug. 3, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Five meetings, Mon. - Fri. at St. Mary's Academy
(grades 6-8), July 23 - 27, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at St. Mary's Academy
- Would you like to animate and produce a movie? Construct a robotic pet and direct it to do tricks? Design a video game featuring you and your friends as characters? Join us at Geek Chic where being a computer geek is chic and coding is cool. You will move between three classes, taught by female computer scientists, as you learn computer skills while focusing on creative projects. Create an animated film using Alice software, which includes worlds and characters you can manipulate using programming basics such as loops, lists and objects. Design and code your own video game using Game Maker. You will learn how to control characters, objects and outcomes in your game, add more features and increase the difficulty level. Construct a robotic animal using the LEGO Mindstorm system and program it to act like a real pet. Make full use of light sensors, rotation sensors and touch sensors to make the interaction with the pets as realistic as possible. Out of class activities, both tech and non-tech, will allow you to interact with other campers in games and creative projects.