Nursing Careers (Grades 9-12) July 22 - 25, 9 AM - 3:30 PM, Four meetings, Mon. - Thurs. at Oregon Health & Science University
- Explore a variety of nursing careers. From entry-level practitioner to doctoral-level researcher, nurses are hands-on health professionals who provide focused and highly personalized care. The demand for nurses continues to grow - meet nurses and learn about rewarding careers in pediatrics, research and emergency medicine. Practice basic nursing skills such as scrubbing, gowning, gloving and a heart, lung and nutrition assessment.
STEAM Chic (Grades 4-5) July 22 - 26, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at St. Mary's Academy
- Where STEAM empowers girls. Join other girls in a week of hands-on explorations and projects in science, tech, engineering and more. Discover how animals adapt to survive, and how you can build and program robots that can solve challenges. Immerse yourself in coding simple puzzles and games, and create art from the beauty of math.
Drone Academy: Become a Pilot! (Grades 10-12) July 15 - 19, 9 AM - 4 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at Portland State University
- Learn to fly & prepare for certification! Prepare for drone pilot certification while exploring the profession. Learn hands-on how to fly safely using a small drone while studying aeronautics, navigation, airspace, weather, and more in a lively classroom course. Learn from industry professionals to broaden your career horizons. This course prepares you to become a certified Remote Pilot In Command (RPIC), a test available to students 16 years and older.
Debate & Policy in Action (Grades 9 – 12) Aug. 5 - 9, 9 AM - 4 PM, Five meetings, Mon. - Fri. at Northwest Academy
- Take a stand with Portland Urban Debate League! Research and debate a topic of national importance in depth, such as health care, immigration and international treaties. Learn logic, argumentation, speaking skills, and cross-examination techniques. Gain greater confidence in public speaking and learn about ways to compete in policy debate during the school year!
Aqua-Explorer (Grades 2-5) July 1 - 3, 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM, Three meetings, Mon. - Wed. at University of Portland
- Get outside, splash in creeks and explore! Follow your curiosity outdoors through creeks, rivers and shores! Comb shorelines for an elusive "river tooth," kayak along the Columbia Slough and search for rare plants, birds and bugs.
The Art of Animals: Drawing and Photography (Grades 4-6) July 22 - 26, 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at Portland Community College - Rock Creek
- Capture the beauty of animals on paper! Spend a week capturing the nature of animals--including llamas, horses, and rabbits--on paper through drawing and photography. Study animal anatomy and experiment with various media to apply drawing fundamentals such as line, shape, and color. Explore photography basics including composition, perspective and light in this hands-on, on-the-farm class!
The Art of Nature Camp: Drawing & Photography (Grades 4-6) Aug. 12 - 16, 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at University of Portland
- Capture the beauty of nature on paper! Spend a week capturing the beauty of nature--flowers, trees, rivers and more--on paper through drawing and photography. Experiment with various media to apply drawing fundamentals such as line, shape, and color. Explore photography basics including composition, perspective and light in this hands-on class!
Pen to Paper: A Crafty Cursive Camp (Grades 4-8) July 29 - Aug. 2, 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at St. Mary's Academy
- Craft a pen & let the writing flow! Explore writing from an arts and crafts perspective. Carve your own bamboo pen, learn how paper is made and make inks from natural materials. Learn and practice various forms of handwriting, including calligraphy and cursive styles. Create works of art as you keep the art of the handwritten word alive!
Graphic Design: Publication Workshop (Grades 9-12) June 24 - 28, 8:30 - 3:30 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at Pacific University
- Design and print your own publication! Learn the basic principles of graphic design while creating and circulating your own zine. From Thomas Paine’s Common Sense to the social activism pamphlets of the 1960s, independently published zines have a rich history in American culture and feature a diverse range of topics today. Share your passion with others by editing, designing, and printing your own zine.
Web Development Camp (Grades 6-9) July 22 - 26, 9 AM - 4 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at Portland State University
3D Game Creation Camp (Grades 8-12) July 8 - 12, 9 AM - 4 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at Portland State University
- Design & program a 3D game world! Create an open-world role playing game (RPG) with realistic terrain and lighting. Use Unity3D to create a world to explore with a character controller and inter-actable objects. Create 3D models and textures in Blender to add realism and intrigue to your gaming world.
Digital Video-making (Grades 9-12) July 8 - 12, 8:30 - 3:30 PM, Five meetings, Mon. - Fri. at Pacific University
- Spend the week telling a story in film! Learn the language of film by writing, filming and editing a short film in small groups. Participants will have access to cameras, lighting and editing equipment.
Artificial Intelligence Academy (Grades 10-12) July 29 - Aug. 2, 9 AM - 4 PM, Five Meetings, Mon. - Fri. at Portland State University
- Explore machine learning with Python and RPi. Learn how to develop machine learning systems in this hands-on Python class using Jupyter Notebook and Raspberry Pi. Explore computer vision and artificial intelligence in cases from cancer cells to autonomous vehicles. Use Python to analyze data and graph results.