Type: Temporary, Part-Time
Salary: Volunteer OR $30 per class hour
The mission of Saturday Academy is to engage children through in-depth learning so they may become life-long learners. We provide classes and camps and a high school apprenticeship program in science and engineering (ASE). Since it was founded in 1983, SA has served over 165,000 students and currently serves approximately 6,000 students each year. SA is an independent, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization affiliated with the University of Portland (UP). Instructors bring their real-world expertise and awareness of potential careers to students.
If you have an expertise that you would love to pass on to the next generation, but you are not an experienced teacher, we provide resources and professional development workshops to prepare you to be successful. We also recommend volunteering as a Classroom Assistant in our classes to gain experience and confidence.
As a Saturday Academy instructor you are responsible to teach a hands-on, age-appropriate class that engages your students and inspires their curiosity. Instructors prepare class materials and lesson plans with the support of SA staff. Close coordination and communication with Saturday Academy staff is essential.
Please note that we typically hire for classes a few months in advance; we will be hiring for summer 2021 this Feb - March.
- Career experience in the field to be taught (academic or corporate sector)
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity, with experience working in racially diverse settings
- A passion for inspiring children to learn
- Training in culturally-relevant and inclusive teaching, and awareness of trauma-informed teaching
- Experience with hands-on and inquiry-based learning
- Post baccalaureate experience, advanced degree or comparable experience
- Send a resume and note (email is fine) specifically addressing the qualifications above as well as your availability to teach to email@example.com.
Candidates of color are encouraged to apply. Saturday Academy is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment for staff and students. To learn more, read Our Equity Statement. As an equal employment opportunity, no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. To request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this position, please contact us.