Title: Summer Little Sparks Educator (K-2)
Hours: 8:30 am-4:30 pm, Monday-Friday, July 10th-August 18th
Staff Training Dates: June 21st - 23rd (Paid-Stipend)
Type: Full-Time (40 hrs.) During the Contracted Period
Salary: $30 per hour//$1,200 weekly
Saturday Academy seeks a broad spectrum of employees that reflect our community and those we serve. Saturday Academy is strongly committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. Qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. Saturday Academy is an equal-opportunity employer.
Founded in 1983, Saturday Academy (SA) is a nonprofit educational organization that helps thousands of youth experience hands-on learning with community experts in a way that enriches young lives and develops a life-long curiosity and passion for learning. Saturday Academy offers classes, summer camps, and afterschool programs throughout the Portland Metropolitan area (grades k-12) as well as a state-wide high school internship program placing students in some of Oregon’s most well-known businesses. We inspire children to pursue their curiosity, but concentrate our programming on topics in science, technology, engineering, arts and math. Saturday Academy strives to make our programs accessible to all and as an organization values Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Quality Programming/Student Experience, A Growth Mindset, Our Staff and STEAM.
Saturday Academy is looking for individuals who have early-childhood educational engagement experience, a passion for guiding STEAM-themed activities, and a commitment to reducing barriers to access in STEAM-education opportunities for youth. Saturday Academy offers full-day, full-week summer programs from 8:30am-4:30pm. Little Sparks Educators are responsible for the leadership, curriculum implementation, and classroom management of our K-2 grade programs that do not exceed 10 students.
Little Sparks camps will be collaboratively taught by two educators and a support specialist with guidance and structure provided by SA staff. As a Saturday Academy Little Sparks Educator you will be in charge of supporting student-centered hands-on activities that engage your campers and spark their curiosity as they explore the interactions of science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics.
We celebrate arts-integrated approaches to learning, drawing strong connections for each individual to tune into the world around them and how it works. We focus on cultivating key life skills in students such as collaboration, empathy, and focused creativity. Close coordination and communication with Saturday Academy staff is essential to ensure your camp technology and supply needs are met. SA will provide Little Sparks Educators with all the necessary curriculum based on predetermined weekly themes for the 6 weeks of summer programming
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Provide supportive and compassionate classroom management strategies throughout programming while supporting individual needs
- Possess the ability to navigate and adjust provided Saturday Academy curriculum to fit the unique needs of the group from week to week with tact and sensitivity
- Facilitate age appropriate-hands-on activities for campers that align with the weekly theme
- Demonstrate flexibility in guiding activities, projects, and/or exercises to meet the current class dynamic
- Ability to adapt programming as needed
- Support a variety of camper-led and hands-on activities that range from low to high impact, including but not limited to: scavenger hunts, obstacle courses, storytime, sensory based stations, mixed-media art projects, introductory science and engineering experiments
- Maintain high levels of engagement through creative and imaginative play
- Provide for the well-being and safety of campers by meeting physical and emotional needs in compliance with the state and organization’s policies
- Responsible for creating Wednesday Report Out to parents recapping the wins of the week and highlighting special Friday activities
- Communicate with Site Leads regarding any program needs, concerns, etc.
DESIRED SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE:
- Previous experience in or knowledge of early childhood education philosophies. Including but not limited to: Waldorf, Montessori, Multi-Arts, Arts Integration
- Passionate commitment to the transformative power of hands-on learning
- Experience working with diverse populations in an out-of-school setting
- At least one year of experience working with youth entering grades K-2
- Positively supports inclusion in all forms: ethnic, gender, gender identity, religious/spiritual affiliations, disabilities, political perspectives, etc.
- Strives for excellence, is self-motivated and able to problem solve. We appreciate folks who meet challenges as opportunities
- Possesses strong oral communication skills
- Thinks strategically, acts resourcefully, and makes decisions with conviction
- Exhibits a strong work ethic and personal integrity, and can remain enthusiastic and successful in a fast-paced work environment
- Shows strong interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, and the ability to network and build lasting relationships
- Works well independently and as part of a cohesive team
- Fully vaccinated
- Possess reliable transportation or means of transport to join us on-site at The University of Portland
- Send cover letter reflecting on how you meet the required/preferred qualifications and a resume to email@example.com
- Use the subject line “YOUR NAME- LS EDUCATOR Application”
- Review of applications will occur on a rolling basis until the application deadline of Friday, April 7, 2023.
For further information visit our website at: www.saturdayacademy.org.
- Transportation and Curriculum Prep/Support Stipends
- Eligibility for Sick Leave Accrual during the course of this contract that can be accessed during the 2023-2024 school year, contingent upon continued employment with Saturday Academy
- Community of Educators and Staff that value your skills, abilities, and identity
- Opportunities for Professional Development on July 6th and/or July 7th