Type: Temporary, Part-Time
Salary: Volunteer OR $30 per class hour
The mission of Saturday Academy is to engage children through in-depth learning so they may become life-long learners. We provide hands-on classes and camps, after-school programs and a high school apprenticeship program in science and engineering (ASE). Since it was founded in 1983, SA has served over 165,000 students and currently serves approximately 6,000 students each year. SA is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization affiliated with the University of Portland (UP). Instructors need to be experts in their fields so that children see adults as guides to learning and careers.
We encourage you to read what it's like to be an instructor with Saturday Academy. If you have an expertise that you would love to pass on to children, but you are not an experienced teacher, we can provide resources, classes and workshops to prepare you to be successful.
As a Saturday Academy instructor you are responsible to teach a hands-on, age-appropriate class that engages your students and inspires their curiosity. Instructors prepare class materials and lesson plans with the support of SA staff. Close coordination and communication with all staff members at Saturday Academy is essential.
- Sciences including biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, and specialties such as water science, animal anatomy, conservation biology, microbiology, forensic science and others
- Engineering & Robotics (ex. LEGO EV3, biomedical engineering, Design Thinking)
- Medical science including nursing, medical specialties such as neuroscience, genetics, etc.
- Arts (ex.: digital arts, painting, sculpture, acting, printmaking and cartooning)
Please note that we typically hire for classes six months in advance, though we sometimes hire for more immediate needs.
- Post baccalaureate experience, advanced degree or comparable experience
- A passion for inspiring children to learn
- Career experience in STEAM fields in the academic and/or corporate sector
- Experience with hands-on and inquiry-based learning
This program is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals.