Type: Temporary, Part-Time
Salary: Volunteer OR $30 per class hour
The mission of Saturday Academy is to engage children through in-depth learning so they may become life-long learners. We provide hands-on classes and camps, after-school programs and a high school apprenticeship program in science and engineering (ASE). Since it was founded in 1983, SA has served over 165,000 students and currently serves approximately 6,000 students each year. SA is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization affiliated with the University of Portland (UP). Instructors need to be experts in their fields so that children see adults as guides to learning and careers.
We encourage you to read what it's like to be an instructor with Saturday Academy. If you have an expertise that you would love to pass on to children, but you are not an experienced teacher, we can provide resources, classes and workshops to prepare you to be successful.
As a Saturday Academy instructor you are responsible to teach a hands-on, age-appropriate class that engages your students and inspires their curiosity. Instructors prepare class materials and lesson plans with the support of SA staff. Close coordination and communication with all staff members at Saturday Academy is essential.
- Sciences including biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, and specialties such as water science, animal anatomy, conservation biology, microbiology, forensic science
- Engineering & Robotics such as LEGO EV3, biomedical engineering, Design Thinking, and creative engineering classes for elementary and middle school students
- Medical science including nursing, medical specialties such as neuroscience, genetics, etc.
- Arts, such as digital arts, stop motion animation, graphic design, painting, sculpture, acting, printmaking)
- Academic subjects, including SAT/ACT/PSAT Prep, Writing, Math, Study Skills, College/Career Readiness
Please note that we typically hire for classes six months in advance; as of August 2019, we are hiring for both January through June classes as well as thinking ahead to Summer 2020!
- Post baccalaureate experience, advanced degree or comparable experience
- A passion for inspiring children to learn
- Career experience in STEAM fields in the academic and/or corporate sector
- Experience with hands-on and inquiry-based learning
- Send a resume and cover letter specifically addressing the qualifications noted above to classes staff at email@example.com.
Saturday Academy seeks a diverse staff in order to reflect our community and those we serve. Qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. To learn more, read Our Equity Statement.