Title: After-School Residency Educator
Hours: Available between 2-6pm at least one day per week
Type: Part Time/Not eligible for benefits
Salary: $30 per hour to start
Saturday Academy seeks a broad spectrum of employees that reflect our community and those we serve. Saturday Academy is strongly committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. Qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. Saturday Academy is an equal-opportunity employer.
Founded in 1983, Saturday Academy (SA) is a nonprofit educational organization that helps thousands of youth experience hands-on learning with community experts in a way that enriches young lives and develops a life-long curiosity and passion for learning. Saturday Academy offers classes, summer camps, and afterschool programs throughout the Portland Metropolitan area (grades k-12) as well as a state-wide high school internship program placing students in some of Oregon’s most well-known businesses. We inspire children to pursue their curiosity, but concentrate our programming on topics in science, technology, engineering, arts and math. Saturday Academy strives to make our programs accessible to all and as an organization values Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Quality Programming/Student Experience, A Growth Mindset, Our Staff and STEAM.
Saturday Academy is looking for individuals who have educational engagement experience, a passion for guiding STEAM-themed activities, and commitment to reducing barriers to access in STEAM-education opportunities for youth. As a Saturday Academy Residency Educator you will work in partnership with Portland-Metro area schools and community organizations, leading project-based, age-appropriate classes that engage your students and inspire their curiosity.
Saturday Academy After-School Residency Programs most commonly occur during after-school hours coinciding with school year terms, ie. Fall, Winter, and Spring. One class term is anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks in length, classes meet 1 or 2 days of the week for 1 - 2 hours each meeting date, an example of a time commitment for one class during a term would be 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm on Tuesdays for 6 Tuesdays.
As a Saturday Academy Residency Educator you will prepare class materials and lesson plans with the support of SA staff. Saturday Academy curriculum for core classes is available to Educators. Close coordination and communication with Saturday Academy staff is essential to ensure your class technology and supply needs are met.
Currently, SA can provide curriculum for the following core class topics through SA Curriculum: Coding in Scratch and Python, Board Game Design, Clothing Upcycling, Gaming, LEGO building, Photography, Comics, The Art of Math, High School Study Skills, and Sports Science. You do not need to be an expert in these areas but demonstrate an interest in learning and bring the educator hat to the table!
We uniquely interested in connecting to individuals who may have a background in technology, coding and/or programming, the natural sciences (biology, ecology, etc.), or artistic mediums as we look to flesh out these areas of need in our partnerships.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Prepping and/or pick-up necessary resources for program.
- Writing designated lesson plans, with SA Youth Program staff and support.
- Communicating with SA Staff and liaising as needed with school sites regarding residency specifics.
- Teach and guide age appropriate-hands-on curriculum to students in after-school programs for 1-2 hours, one or more days per week, over the course of 6-12 weeks.
- Support classroom management strategies that balance serving individual needs with the larger group dynamic.
- Completing all administrative teaching responsibilities as assigned.
DESIRED SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE:
- Passionate commitment to the transformative power of hands-on learning.
- Commitment to youth social emotional. development.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- At least one year of experience working with youth ages 4-14.
- Positively supports inclusion in all forms: ethnic, gender, gender identity, religious/spiritual affiliations, disabilities, political perspectives, etc.
- Strives for excellence, is self-motivated and able to problem solve
- Possesses strong written and oral communication skills
- Thinks strategically, acts resourcefully, and makes decisions with conviction
- Exhibits a strong work ethic and personal integrity, and can remain enthusiastic and successful in a fast-paced work environment
- Shows strong interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, and the ability to network and build lasting relationships
- Works well independently and as part of a cohesive team
- Fully vaccinated
- Ability to travel to sites located all over the greater Portland Metro area
- Send cover letter reflecting on how you meet the required/preferred qualifications and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . We are happy to hear if there are subjects and skills that you are passionate and interested in teaching!
- Use the subject line “YOUR NAME- RESIDENCY EDUCATOR Application”
- Review of applications will occur on a rolling basis throughout the duration of the summer and school year.
For further information visit our website at: www.saturdayacademy.org.
- Starting Salary @ $30 per hour.
- Transportation and Curriculum Writing (Prep) Stipends.
- Eligibility for Sick Leave Accrual during the year.
- Community of Educators and Staff that value your skills, abilities, and identity.
- Professional Development Opportunities.