Type: Full time Exempt; 401K, health benefits included
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 5 PM
The mission of Saturday Academy is to engage students in learning with sufficient depth that they will become life-long learners. We provide out-of-school time hands-on classes and summer day camps, after-school programs and a high school apprenticeship program in science and engineering. The instructors are experts in their fields so that children learn that adults are guides to learning and careers. Since it was founded in 1983, Saturday Academy has served over 175,000 students and currently serves approximately 6,000 students each year. Saturday Academy partners with over 60 institutions each year that provide computer and science laboratories, space or mentorships. Saturday Academy is affiliated with the University of Portland and our headquarters are on their campus in North Portland.
We are seeking a Director of Development to lead efforts in donor relations, corporate and foundation philanthropy as well as the annual grants calendar, including prospect research, proposal development, reports and related deliverables, and grant tracking. The position manages the event logistics for our annual Discovery Luncheon fundraising event and works closely with the entire Saturday Academy staff. The Development director, upon evaluation of interests, skill-set and workload may recruit an additional staff member. Saturday Academy has a partial earned income model for its $2M annual budget; approximately 1/3 of the budget comes from contributed income.
• Build and manage the annual grants calendar through prospect research.
• Work collaboratively with leadership team to identify fundable projects and match with priorities of granting agencies.
• Oversee the preparation of grant narratives, application forms, project budgets, and all required content for grant proposals in accordance with requirements and submission deadlines.
• Oversee the preparation of grant reports and required deliverables meeting requirements and submission deadlines.
• Event planning, logistics and manage events on site such as: finalizing and organizing location details, menus and catering, decorations, a-v equipment, event rentals, etc. while working with event vendors and SA staff.
• Cultivate and solicit corporate event sponsorships.
• Annual fund activities such as crafting appeal letters and creating content for donor communications.
• Build and maintain relationships with donors and build a planned giving program.
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities for these positions. Duties and responsibilities may change based on team member skills and interests.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in a related field and at least 4 years of experience in development with a track record in grant procurement and/or donor relations.
• Clear and effective writing and editing skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Experience with database management systems (e.g. Salesforce), Excel and other tracking tools.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• A passion for inspiring students to learn.
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including some evening or weekend events.
• Excellent sense of humor as you will be working a highly creative and fun group of people
• Valid driver’s license, and own transportation. *(mileage reimbursed)
• Must be able to lift and move boxes of supplies (up to 25 pounds each) and use handcarts to transport supplies in and out of vehicles, storage areas, or classrooms
Applicants should email a single document containing a cover letter and resume, and listing contact information for at least three references to: Dr. Jeri Janowsky, Executive Director, Saturday Academy; email@example.com Please address in the cover letter how your experience meets the qualifications. This position will remain open until filled.
This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or sexual orientation. Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. A clear background check will be required for employment.