Hours: 10 hour/week for full academic year
Salary: $16.00/hour ($4,000 for 8 months)
The mission of Saturday Academy (SA: www.saturdayacademy.org) is to engage children in learning with sufficient depth that they will become life-long learners. We provide out-of-school time hands-on classes and summer day camps, afterschool programs, a high school apprenticeship program in science and engineering (ASE), and special programs to engage girls in technology. Since 1983, SA has served over 180,000 students and currently serves approximately 6000 each year. SA partners with over 60 institutions that provide computer and science laboratories, space, or mentorships. SA is affiliated with the University of Portland (UP) and our headquarters are on the UP campus in North Portland.
Summary of Position:
Saturday Academy seeks two college students for paid internships to learn about the administration and management of a non-profit organization. At Saturday Academy, we learn by doing. The interns will rotate through each of Saturday Academy’s programs doing projects to gain an overview of the organization as well as contribute meaningfully to the organization. One intern will focus on nonprofit management including Board management and the work of the Executive Director. The other intern will focus on volunteer and partnership development. We will also consider the skills and interests of the applicant in the projects they undertake during the year. This internship program is supported by the Goodman Foundation and supports Saturday Academy’s mission to expand educational opportunities for youth.
- A current college student with junior or senior status toward their bachelor’s degree by Fall 2018.
- An independent and creative individual who enjoys working with diverse groups of people.
- An interest in a career in the non-profit sector and nonprofit management.
- Strong administrative computer skills including data entry proficiency, word processing, spreadsheet, database (Salesforce), web research, social media
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including some evening or weekend events.
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record and access to a car.
Applicants should email a single document containing a cover letter and resume, listing contact information for at least three references to: Dr. Jeri Janowsky, Executive Director, Saturday Academy (email@example.com). Please address in the cover letter which internship focus would be of interest to you, how your experience meets the qualifications, and any additional information that conveys your passion for education and non-profit management. Positions will remain open until filled. We encourage applications from minorities and individuals with disabilities.