Type: Temporary, Part Time to Full Time, Non-Exempt
Hours: 20 to 40 hours a week during summer term. Summer term: June 24th to August 23rd
Salary: $12.50 hour
Founded in 1983, Saturday Academy (SA) is a nonprofit educational organization that has helped over 175,000 young people (approximately 7,000 enrollments/year) experience hands-on learning with community experts in a way that enriches young lives and develops a life-long curiosity and passion for learning. Saturday Academy offers classes, summer camps, and afterschool programs throughout the Portland Metropolitan area (grades 2-12) and a high school internship program that is state-wide. We inspire children to learn in nearly every field, but concentrate on science, technology, engineering, math due to the fast pace of change in these fields and the demand for more technologically advanced education by the community.
Saturday Academy is seeking seasonal temporary counselors to provide on-site assistance for week-long day camps and/or school-based classes at various locations in the Portland Metro area (University of Portland, OHSU, Beaverton, etc.). The counselor is responsible for assisting with checking in students, moving student groups between campus buildings, supervising students during breaks and lunches, moving supplies, and other duties to assist instructors and Saturday Academy staff. There may be one, or more than one, counselor at each site depending on student enrollment.
- Assure students are properly supervised at all times
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines
- Actively participate in camp/classes activities as needed
- Be a role model to students and staff in your attitude and behavior
- Communicate effectively and work as a team with other staff
- Treat each child with respect, honesty and kindness as a representative of Saturday Academy
This position is supervised by the Operations Coordinator and Chief Operating Officer. Close coordination between this position and other Saturday Academy staff members is essential, as is open communication with students and instructors.
- Experience working with children
- Ability to get to class sites on time (driver’s license & car are a plus in case transporting supplies is necessary)
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be able to lift and move boxes of books and supplies (up to 20 pounds each)
- Must be able to attend required half-day training in early June (date TBD)
- Must be available for full weeks Monday – Friday, during the weeks starting June 24th through August 23rd. Job appointments may be for 1 to 7 weeks in duration depending on staffing needs and availability. Hours are variable depending on the location/week but will range from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM to 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM or 11:30 AM to 5:30 PM (i.e. school-based classes counselor staffing needed for half day only).
- Send a brief statement addressing the required qualifications, a resume, and the weeks you are available to work to Lisa Leonard, Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line “SA Summer Counselor”. Confirmation of the receipt of your email will be sent to the email address you use to submit your application.
Applicants must pass a pre-employment fingerprint-based criminal background and reference checks.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.