Type: Temporary, Part Time to Full Time, Non-Exempt
Hours: Monday-Friday 8 AM – 5 PM
Salary: $13.00 hour
Founded in 1983, Saturday Academy (SA) is a nonprofit educational organization that has helped over 175,000 young people (approximately 7,000 enrollments/year) experience hands-on learning with community experts in a way that enriches young lives and develops a life-long curiosity and passion for learning. Saturday Academy offers classes, summer camps, and afterschool programs throughout the Portland Metropolitan area (grades 2-12) and a high school internship program that is state-wide. We inspire children to learn in nearly every field, but concentrate on science, technology, engineering, math due to the fast pace of change in these fields and the demand for more technologically advanced education by the community.
Saturday Academy is seeking seasonal temporary counselors to provide on-site assistance for week-long day camps and/or school-based classes at various locations in the Portland Metro area (University of Portland, OHSU, Beaverton, etc.). The camp counselor is responsible for assisting with checking in students, moving student groups between campus buildings, supervising students during breaks and lunches, moving supplies, and other duties to assist instructors and Saturday Academy staff. This position is supervised by the Operations Coordinator. Close coordination between this position and other Saturday Academy staff members is essential, as is open communication with students and instructors. There may be one, or more than one, counselor at each site depending on student enrollment.
- Assure students are properly supervised at all times
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines
- Actively participate in camp/classes activities as needed
- Be a role model to students and staff in your attitude and behavior
- Communicate effectively and work as a team with other staff
- Treat each child with respect, honesty and kindness as a representative of Saturday Academy
This position is supervised by the Operations Coordinator and Chief Operating Officer. Close coordination between this position and other Saturday Academy staff members is essential, as is open communication with students and instructors.
- Experience working with children
- Ability to get to class sites on time
- Ability to deliver supplies to camp sites or commute between camp sites (driver’s license & car are a plus in case transporting supplies is necessary)
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be able to lift and move boxes of books and supplies (up to 20 pounds each)
- Must be able to attend required half-day training in early June (date TBD)
- Must be available for full weeks Monday – Friday, during the weeks starting June 15th through August 23rd (Schedules vary and assignments may be for 1 to 10 weeks in duration depending on staffing needs and counselor availability).
- First Aid/CPR certified is preferred
- Send a brief statement addressing the required qualifications, a resume, and the weeks you are available to work to Eric Polgar, Director of Operations at email@example.com Use the subject line “SA Summer Counselor”. Must pass a pre-employment fingerprint-based criminal background check.
Saturday Academy seeks a diverse staff in order to reflect our community and those we serve. Qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. To learn more, read Our Equity Statement.