Type: Full time. We will consider applications from part-time people with duties to be adjusted.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Salary: $38,000 - $50,000 (full time) depending on experience
Benefits: Includes full health, dental and 401K; 10 vacation days and 12 sick days and 10 holidays per year.
Saturday Academy exists to respond to children’s curiosity and to engage them in learning with sufficient depth that they will become life-long learners. We provide hands-on workshops, classes, summer day camps, afterschool programs, accelerated learning programs for talented and gifted students, and a high school apprenticeship program in science and engineering (ASE). Saturday Academy offers generous financial aid so that all students are able to participate. 43% of SA students are from underserved communities. The instructors are experts in their fields so that children see adults as guides to learning and careers. Since it was founded in 1983, SA has served over 185,000 students and currently serves approximately 6,000 students each year. SA partners with over 60 institutions that provide computer and science laboratories, space, or mentorships. SA is affiliated with the University of Portland (UP) and our headquarters are on the beautiful UP campus in North Portland.
The Full-Charge Bookkeeper is responsible for AP/AR, payroll, invoices, budget monitoring and financial reporting to Saturday Academy’s Board of Directors. The position supports the creation of the annual budget, and the information for the annual audit, tax preparation, and filings for charitable registrations with the external auditor. This position manages finance and payroll through software vendors. The Bookkeeper will be supervised by Lisa Leonard, Chief Operating Officer and works closely with Jeri Janowsky, Ph.D. the Executive Director. Close coordination and communication with all staff members is essential.
- College education, BA/BS in accounting or comparable experience
- Enjoy helping people and have a commitment to education
- Excellent customer service skills
- 2 years of bookkeeping experience
- Experience developing budgets for an organization or grant proposals and grant expense reporting
- Experience preparing month-end reports (Balance sheets, income and expenses)
- Very strong Excel skills. Experience with MIP accounting software required. Experience with payment and database software (preferably Stripe and Salesforce)
- Ability to multitask with superior time management, organizational and financial management skills. Strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to problem solve independently
- Flexibility and an excellent sense of humor
- Ability to work or attend occasional SA events on evenings and weekends
- A driver’s license and access to a reliable insured vehicle for external meetings and events, (mileage reimbursed).
- Experience in a nonprofit organization
- Spanish or other language speaking skills
- Send a cover letter specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications and a resume listing contact information for at least three references as a single document to Jeri Janowsky, Ph.D. Executive Director, Saturday Academy at email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line “Full-Charge Bookkeeper.” Confirmation of the receipt of your email will be sent to the email address you use to submit your application. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Saturday Academy seeks a diverse staff in order to reflect our community and those we serve. Qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals.