Title: Director of Development
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30am-4:30pm and/or 9:00am-5:00pm
Type: Full Time (40 hours per week); Non-Exempt; Benefits Eligible
Salary: $66,000-$76,000 per year plus benefits
Saturday Academy seeks a broad spectrum of employees that reflect our community and those we serve. Saturday Academy is strongly committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. Qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. Saturday Academy is an equal-opportunity employer.
Founded in 1983, Saturday Academy (SA) is a nonprofit educational organization that helps thousands of youth experience hands-on learning with community experts in a way that enriches young lives and develops a life-long curiosity and passion for learning. Saturday Academy offers classes, summer camps, and afterschool programs throughout the Portland Metropolitan area (grades 2-12) as well as a state-wide high school internship program placing students in some of Oregon’s most well-known businesses. We inspire children to pursue their curiosity, but concentrate our programming on topics in science, technology, engineering, arts and math. Saturday Academy strives to make our programs accessible to all and as an organization values Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Quality Programming/Student Experience, A Growth Mindset, Our Staff and STEAM.
Saturday Academy operates on a $1.6 million annual budget and is invested in building up the administrative and financial infrastructure to adequately support the growing organization.
Saturday Academy seeks a proactive, collaborative, mission-oriented, critical-thinking leader to join a team of talented staff, educators, and Board Members in the role of Director of Development. The position offers a unique opportunity to leverage fundraising expertise to contribute significantly to Saturday Academy’s programs and mission. This position functions as a critical member of the senior team in strategic planning and setting organizational strategy. Must be a mission-focused leader who can create relationships, support strategic planning, drive change and help scale the organization. This position currently manages one full-time Development and Communications Coordinator and a part-time grant writer as the organization continues to evolve.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- In concert with the Executive Director, determine strategic fundraising goals and objectives to achieve and monitor key performance indicators throughout the year.
- Manage a portfolio of prospects and secure gifts according to the organization's annual projections from individuals, foundations, corporations, and governmental agencies.
- Foster relationships to solicit new individual and institutional donors
- Liaise with current major donors through innovative cultivation strategies.
- Partner with the board to steward commitments and leverage relationships to expand Saturday Academy’s impact.
- Support the production of the annual report, crafts appeals, and champion donor recognition.
- Vision the annual Discovery fundraising event and lead full event- planning slate as it relates to this event.
- Imagine and execute donor cultivation events throughout the year.
- Provides administrative oversight of all fundraising activities in support of campaigns and other foundation initiatives including the development and management of budgets for development team and any initiatives thereof.
- Build and manage the annual grants calendar to meet application and reporting deadlines
- Conduct research to add new prospective foundations, government agencies and donor advised funds to the grants calendar
- Work collaboratively with the leadership team to identify fundable projects and match with priorities of granting agencies
- Oversee the preparation of grant narratives, application forms, project budgets and all required content for grant proposals in accordance with requirements and submission deadlines. The ability to craft strong narratives and a pension for storytelling is an asset.
- Develop and provide proper stewardship to donors. Work with the Marketing and Communications staff and others to develop appropriate donor cultivation and publicity materials
- Contribute to mission re-visioning with an eye for diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in all aspects of the funding strategy.
DESIRED SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE:
- Passionate commitment to the transformative power of hands-on learning.
- 3+ years of experience in fundraising in a professional environment, preferably in a non-profit sector.
- Confident, innovative, and willingness to be a “doer” who will engage in systems evaluation.
- Strong track record of identifying, cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting philanthropic support based on intentional relationship-building.
- Knowledge of funding climate and/or willingness to demonstrate strategies to learn funding climate.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with strong familiarity of development reporting standards and narrative writing for grants.· Experience writing compelling, concise and polished fundraising content, including grant applications, financial reports, solicitations and donor/funder correspondence.
- Competency with Quickbooks, Harness, Salesforce, Office.
- Superb organization of multiple projects and priorities.
- Proactive individual with a strong collaborative work ethic and the ability to work independently.
- Previous experience and commitment to work with multigenerational audiences and diverse cultural communities.
- Bring a social justice mindset to the work each day.
- Must be able to lift and move boxes of books and supplies, (up to 30 pounds each) and transport supplies in and out of vehicles, storage areas, or classrooms.
- Send a cover letter reflecting on how you meet the required/preferred qualifications, a resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the subject line “YOUR NAME- DIR. of DEVO Application”
- Review of applications will occur on a rolling basis. We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply. It will remain open until filled.
For further information visit our website at: www.saturdayacademy.org.
- The Director of Development is a full-time exempt position with receiving a salary between $66,000-$76,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Saturday Academy provides coverage for medical, dental, vision, and LTD insurance.
- 401k plan with pre-tax or post-tax contribution eligibility and 3% employer match.
- Paid time off includes vacation, a generous holiday package, and sick and personal days.
- Saturday Academy employees receive discounts on programming for their immediate family.