Position: Director of Development
Salary: $65,000 - 72,000
Benefits: Saturday Academy offers medical, dental, and short-term disability benefits in addition to a 401k matching program. Paid time off is based on tenure with the organization and includes accruals of sick and vacation hours.
Employment Status: Full time, exempt
Saturday Academy is an education nonprofit that develops creative, confident, and curious critical thinkers by engaging them in science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) experiences. We believe that education can change lives and provide opportunities. Our programming includes STEAM classes, camps, and internships. Being around people who see what is possible and are daily energized by the transformations that occur makes this an amazing position. Since 1983, Saturday Academy has served over 190,000 students and currently serves approximately 5,000 students each year. Saturday Academy is affiliated with the University of Portland and our headquarters are on their campus in North Portland.
Like many organizations, Saturday Academy has been hit by COVID-19. As an organization we are taking time to assess how we are meeting our mission during challenging times, and are developing new strategies to adapt to the evolving education landscape. The Development Director will have an opportunity to collaboratively shape the vision for the organization.
Saturday Academy is committed to racial equity across the organization: in our services to students, in our workforce composition and practices, and in our workplace culture. We are continually seeking to improve as an organization; candidates should know that justice, equity, diversity and inclusion is a cornerstone of our commitment to STEM education.
This position is flexible and can work part-time from home.
Our new Director of Development will be stepping into an evolving role. The position will include all of the traditional elements of a fundraising position -- donor cultivation, event management, grant writing -- as well as an opportunity to oversee and align the organization’s messaging with the mission and contribute to our important JEDI (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion) work. This role will begin remotely and will lead the transition back to in person donor stewardship and events.
- Introduce new individual and corporate donors to Saturday Academy and steward existing donors to higher levels of engagement
- Foster major donors, both individual and corporate
- Secure annual board give or get commitments
- Ensure donor appreciation is consistent and genuine
- Help to produce annual report that is used for donor recognition
Events and Fundraising Management
- Manage the annual Discovery Event, including logistics, registrations, participant recruitment, sponsorships and fundraising goals
- Establish major donor cultivation events
- Conduct year end fundraising appeal
- Develop and promote introductory donor engagement including Amazon Smile, Bottle Drop Green Bag donations, Fred Meyer rewards, etc.
- Build and manage the annual grants calendar to meet application and reporting deadlines
- Conduct research to add new prospective foundations, government agencies and donor advised funds to the grants calendar
- Work collaboratively with the leadership team to identify fundable projects and match with priorities of granting agencies
- Manage the Part-Time Grant Writer, make the best use of their limited time and divide the work accordingly
- Oversee the preparation of grant narratives, application forms, project budgets and all required content for grant proposals in accordance with requirements and submission deadlines
- Oversee the preparation of grant reports and required deliverables meeting requirements and submission deadlines
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all Saturday Academy messaging, aligning the mission, programs, vision and growth trajectory of the organization with what is published on the website, on social media, in printed catalogs and in donor and public communications
- Manage the Marketing and Development Coordinator, helping to direct and prioritize their work to support the overall marketing and development needs of the organization
- Initiate opportunities to integrate fundraising into other areas of the organization
- Collaborate with the executive director and program team to integrate an overall strategy of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion into all aspects of Saturday Academy
- Take on responsibilities and/or roles as these programs develop
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in a related field
- At least 3 years of experience in development with a track record of successfully meeting and exceeding fundraising goals
- Experience managing others through coaching and clear expectations
- Experience with Salesforce, Google Suite, Formstack, Stripe, Constant Contact and/or the ability to quickly ramp up to proficiency
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including some evening or weekend events
- Clear and effective writing and editing skills that are donor-focused
- Very strong attention to detail and accuracy of donor data
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a single pdf document containing a cover letter and resume or curriculum vita that lists contact information for at least three references to: email@example.com
In the cover letter please describe how your experience meets the position duties, responsibilities and skills and any additional information that conveys your interest.
This program is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals.