Title: Development Manager
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30am-4:30pm and/or 9:00am-5:00pm
Type: Full Time (40 hours per week); Non-Exempt; Benefits Eligible
Salary: $50,000-$55,000 per year plus benefits
Saturday Academy seeks a broad spectrum of employees that reflect our community and those we serve. Saturday Academy is strongly committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. Qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. Saturday Academy is an equal-opportunity employer.
Founded in 1983, Saturday Academy (SA) is a nonprofit educational organization that helps thousands of youth experience hands-on learning with community experts in a way that enriches young lives and develops a life-long curiosity and passion for learning. Saturday Academy offers classes, summer camps, and afterschool programs throughout the Portland Metropolitan area (grades 2-12) as well as a state-wide high school internship program placing students in some of Oregons most well-known businesses. We inspire children to pursue their curiosity, but concentrate our programming on topics in science, technology, engineering, arts and math. Saturday Academy strives to make our programs accessible to all and as an organization values Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Quality Programming/Student Experience, A Growth Mindset, Our Staff and STEAM.
Saturday Academy operates on a 1 million dollar annual budget and is invested in building our infrastructure to adequately support the growing organization.
Saturday Academy seeks a proactive, collaborative, mission-oriented, critical-thinking leader to join a team of talented staff, educators, and Board Members in the role of Development Manager. The position offers a unique opportunity to leverage fundraising expertise to contribute significantly to Saturday Academys programs and mission. This position functions as a critical member of the team in fostering sustainability post-pandemic . Must be a mission-focused leader who can create relationships, drive change, build donor relationships, and help scale the organization. This position currently manages a partnering grant writing team as the organization continues to evolve and reports to the Executive Director.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- In concert with the Executive Director, manage strategic fundraising goals and objectives to achieve and monitor key performance indicators throughout the year.
- Manage a portfolio of prospects and secure gifts according to the organization’s annual projections from individuals, foundations, corporations, and governmental agencies.
- Foster relationships to solicit new institutional donors functioning as the primary point of contact for Cogeo granting writing team.
- Spearhead planning and execution of two donor events and support cultivation events for targeted audiences.
- Partner with the board sitting on the Development Committee to steward commitments and leverage relationships to expand Saturday Academys impact.
- Support the production of the annual report, crafts appeals, and champion donor recognition.
- Support execution of annual Discovery Gala.
- Track expense and revenue intake/outtake for the Development department.
- Build and manage the annual grants calendar to meet application and reporting deadlines
- Conduct research to add new prospective foundations, government agencies and donor advised funds to the grants calendar
- Work collaboratively with the leadership team to identify fundable projects and match with priorities of granting agencies
- Oversee the preparation of grant narratives, application forms, project budgets and all required content for grant proposals in accordance with requirements and submission deadlines. The ability to craft strong narratives and a pension for storytelling is an asset.
- Provide administrative support towards individual giving practices
- Work with the Marketing and Communications staff and others to develop appropriate donor cultivation and publicity materials
- Ability to write grant narratives that expand Saturday Academys capacity beyond Cogeos current grant commitments.
- Contribute to mission re-visioning with an eye for diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in all aspects of the funding strategy.
DESIRED SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE:
- Passionate commitment to the transformative power of hands-on learning.
- 1+ year(s) of experience in fundraising in a professional environment, preferably in a non-profit sector.
- Confident, innovative, and willingness to be a doer who will engage in systems evaluation.
- Strong track record of identifying, cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting philanthropic support based on intentional relationship-building.
- Knowledge of funding climate and/or willingness to demonstrate strategies to learn funding climate.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with familiarity of development reporting standards and narrative writing for grants.
- Competency with Quickbooks, Harness, Salesforce, Office or proficiency to learn a myriad of platforms.
- Superb organization of multiple projects and priorities.
- Proactive individual with a strong collaborative work ethic and the ability to work independently.
- Previous experience and commitment to work with multigenerational audiences and diverse cultural communities.
- Bring a social justice mindset to the work each day.
- Must be able to lift and move boxes of books and supplies, (up to 30 pounds each) and transport supplies in and out of vehicles, storage areas, or classrooms.
- Send a cover letter reflecting on how you meet the required/preferred qualifications, a resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the subject line YOUR NAME- DEVO Manager Application
- Review of applications will occur on a rolling basis. We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply. It will remain open until filled.
- For further information visit our website at: www.saturdayacademy.org.
- The Development Manager is a full-time exempt position with receiving a salary between $50,000-$55,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Saturday Academy provides coverage for medical, dental, vision, and LTD insurance.
- 401k plan with pre-tax or post-tax contribution eligibility and 3% employer match.
- Paid time off includes vacation, a generous holiday package, and sick and personal days.
- Saturday Academy employees receive discounts on programming for their immediate family.