Title: Youth Programs Associate
Hours: 4-5 days a week - Includes Saturdays (when Classes are in Session October-May)
Hours TBA pending hiring. 30 Hours per week during the School Year.
40 Hours per week from June-August.
Type: Principal Part-Time Employee, Hourly Paid Position
Salary: $20 per hour
Saturday Academy seeks a broad spectrum of employees that reflect our community and those we serve.
Saturday Academy is strongly committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. Qualified
individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all
without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or
religion. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. Saturday Academy is an equal-
Founded in 1983, Saturday Academy (SA) is a nonprofit educational organization that helps thousands of
youth experience hands-on learning with community experts in a way that enriches young lives and develops
a life-long curiosity and passion for learning. Saturday Academy offers classes, summer camps, and
afterschool programs throughout the Portland Metropolitan area (grades PreK-12) as well as a state-wide
high school internship program placing students in some of Oregon’s most well-known businesses. We
inspire children to pursue their curiosity, but concentrate our programming on topics in science, technology,
engineering, arts and math. Saturday Academy strives to make our programs accessible to all and as an
organization values Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Quality Programming/Student Experience, A Growth
Mindset, Our Staff and STEAM.
Saturday Academy operates on a $1 million annual budget and is invested in building up the administrative and financial infrastructure to adequately support the growing organization.
Saturday Academy seeks a proactive, collaborative, mission-oriented, critical-thinking support to join a team
of talented staff, educators, and Board Members in the role of Youth Programs Associate. The 30 hour a
week position offers a unique opportunity to support the Youth Programs team in facilitating robust school
residency programs, three semesters of STEAM-oriented Classes, and a mobile Summer Residency model.
This position supports the coordination of Saturday Academy’s School Residency Programs, On-Site Classes,
and serves as administrative support for our Youth Summer Residencies in the community. This individual
must be a mission-focused team player who can build authentic relationships, support planning and
organization, have the capacity to teach and assist in programming as needed (based on their content strengths), and who functions as an energetic role model. This position is the primary administrative
communicator for youth programs, connecting with parents, students Pre-K - Grade 12, and
school/community members. This position will report to the Youth Programs Manager and will support our
roster of Educators.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Maintaining Youth Programs Administrative structures, engaging in long term research projects, market research, and interdepartmental projects.
- Functioning as the first point of contact for our weekend/weekday Classes, running check-in/out, and liaising with parents, students, and ensuring premium educator support assisting as needed.
- Drafting and envisioning strong caretaker communication tools as the primary administrator for Classes. Ensuring set-ups for Classes in rooms demonstrating proactivity to educator and student needs alike.
- Communicating with site managers and Saturday Academy educators regarding class requests, supply needs, etc. and coordinating these efforts with the Education and Engagement Operations Manager for distribution.
- Tracking data and building events for Youth programs using Salesforce and Google. Calendarizing YP programs for full staff.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of professional development opportunities for educators.
- Represent Saturday Academy at tabling opportunities in the community to promote Youth Programs.
- Contribute meaningfully to cultivation events and Discovery Gala through assigned tasks.
- Support planning and recruitment for Educator Roster for Youth Programs. Coordinating interviews for educators, assistants, and support of onboarding processes as needed. Conducting interviews with assistant and support positions as assigned.
- Site Administrative Lead during Summer. Manages all Summer Residency related data, supplies, etc. from week to week, runs check-in/check-out each day with support, contributes to summer residency mobile unit execution, and supports student needs throughout the day.
- Designated sub for Youth Programs throughout the year.
- Support Curriculum Development for Youth Programs.
- Spearheading and contributing to initiatives that meet strategic goals through Youth Program models.
- Extending the Youth Programs team ability to observe and evaluate programmatic effectiveness.
DESIRED SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE:
- Passionate commitment to the transformative power of hands-on learning.
- A self-motivated and creative individual who enjoys working with diverse populations and maintaining positive working relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill; proven ability to meet deadlines and organize large amounts of content.
- A demonstrated passion for inspiring children to learn.
- Experience supporting programs, part-time employees, and volunteers.
- Understanding of the relationships youth may have with STEAM based on class, race, lived experience and gender.
- Proactive individual with a strong collaborative work ethic and the ability to work independently.
- Previous experience and commitment to work with multigenerational audiences and diverse cultural communities.
- Previous work in childcare, teaching, assisting, and/or working in youth oriented spaces.
- Bring a social justice mindset to the work each day.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule noting this job is 30 hours during the school year (October-May) and shifts to 40 hours from June-August. Saturday work is a requirement for this job.
- Must be able to lift and move boxes of books and supplies, (up to 30 pounds each) and transport supplies in and out of vehicles, storage areas, or classrooms.
- CPR/First Aid Certification. SA can support obtaining if this is not already in hand.
- Covid Vaccinated
- Send a cover letter reflecting on how you meet the required/preferred qualifications, a resume, and three professional references to email@example.com.
- Use the subject line YOUR NAME- Youth Programs Associate Application
- Review of applications will occur on a rolling basis. We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply. It will remain open until filled.
- For further information visit our website at: www.saturdayacademy.org.