Title: Career Pathway Exploration Programs Associate
Hours: 20 hours per week Monday-Friday, with occasional weekend commitments as needed. Hours TBD as a team during the School Year. 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday, from June to August.
Status of Work: Hybrid Remote/On-Site (One day a week + Specific Programming days in July and August). This position does actively work in community including in-person school visits in January and February.
Type: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Salary: $20 per hour
Saturday Academy seeks a broad spectrum of employees that reflect our community and those we serve. Saturday Academy is strongly committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. Qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religion. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. Saturday Academy is an equal-opportunity employer.
Founded in 1983, Saturday Academy (SA) is a nonprofit educational organization that helps thousands of youth experience hands-on learning with community experts in a way that enriches young lives and develops a life-long curiosity and passion for learning. Saturday Academy offers classes, summer camps, and after-school programs throughout the Portland Metropolitan area (grades PreK-12) as well as a state-wide high school internship program placing students in some of Oregon’s most well-known businesses and research institutions. We inspire children to pursue their curiosity, but concentrate our programming on topics in science, technology, engineering, arts and math. Saturday Academy strives to make our programs accessible to all and as an organization values Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Quality Programming/Student Experience, A Growth Mindset, Our Staff and STEAM. Saturday Academy operates on a $1 million annual budget and is invested in building up the administrative and financial infrastructure to adequately support the growing organization.
Saturday Academy seeks a proactive, collaborative, mission-oriented, critical-thinking individual to join a team of talented staff, educators, and Board Members in the role of Career Exploration Programs Associate. The position offers a unique opportunity to leverage passion for workforce development, hands-on learning, administrative coordination, and community liaising. This position functions as a critical member of the Career Pathway Exploration team ensuring our summer Apprenticeships in Science and Engineering Program is executed efficiently, warmly, and thoroughly. This position reports directly to the Career Exploration Programs Manager.
- Support and spearhead critical student recruitment initiatives in community
- Host information sessions at high schools in the community and virtually to tell the story of the program and answer questions.
- Brainstorm innovative ways to promote Career Exploration Programs to high school population via social media working with our Operations and Multimedia Managers to curate content or liaise with students
- Support Program Manager in ASE Application processes, including posting internship descriptions, answering student questions, processing applications, and preparing applications to be sent to mentors.
- Analyze and visualize ASE Applicant and Intern data for Development and internal reporting purposes.
- Support the facilitation of virtual and in-person events as primary coordinator and liaison for ASE Summer Lunch and Learns, July Midsummer Conference, and August ASE Symposium
- Thought partner in planning in-person Midsummer Conference, coordinating vendors, space, and liaising with the University of Portland key stakeholders.
- Orient volunteers for Midsummer Conference and Symposium and support Operations in recruiting volunteers for ASE support-needs.
- Communicate with ASE Interns regarding events and program deliverables.
- Inventory and organize deliverables as interns submit them.
- Organize end of summer packet preparation and mailing for ASE interns and mentors.
- Monitor primary email communication spaces for ASE Program.
- Research longer range mentor and student recruitment opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Youth Programs team in leveraging ASE assets for Youth Programs as assigned.
- Support tabling effort and/or strategic communication efforts as needed to promote SA Programs.
- Participate, as assigned, in program development for future Steam Career Tracks Programming.
- Administrative backbone for Career Explorations Programs preparing written materials, supportive copy, calendarizing and prioritizing grassroots efforts to engage a wide range of stakeholders from school administrators, student, mentors, and teacher monitors alike.
- Support Development and/or Community Engagement events that directly intersect with Career Exploration interests (Discovery Gala and Alum Mixer).
- Provide programmatic support through mentor/student observation, site visits, orientations for support staff to program, and curating resources to professional develop contractors.
DESIRED SKILLS OR EXPERIENCE:
- Passionate commitment to the transformative power of hands-on learning, with an emphasis on workforce development.
- 1+ year of administrative support experience.
- Proven track record of working in high school education environments and/or directly with high school students successfully.
- Warm, open, and receptive to feedback.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills demonstrating success in connecting authentically with high school students, teachers, administrators, and parents alike.
- Confidence in public speaking a must.
- Superb organization of multiple projects and priorities.
- Proactive individual with a strong collaborative work ethic and the ability to work independently.
- Previous experience and commitment to work with multigenerational audiences and diverse cultural communities.
- Bring a social justice mindset to the work each day.
- Must be able to lift and move boxes of books and supplies, (up to 30 pounds each) and transport supplies in and out of vehicles, storage areas, or classrooms. This role plays an active role in set-up, take-down, and must be physically capable of sustaining this energy.
- This position does feature weekend and/or weekday evening commitments throughout the work cycle.
- Bonus if bilingual in Spanish
- Send a cover letter reflecting on how you meet the required/preferred qualifications, a resume, and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the subject line “YOUR NAME- CPEP Associate Application”
- Review of applications will occur on an immediate rolling basis. We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply.
- Deadline: We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and are actively recruiting for this position.
For further information visit our website at: www.saturdayacademy.org.
The Career Pathway Exploration Programs Associate is a part-time exempt position receiving a rate of pay of $20 per hour for 20 hours a week during the school year and shifting to 40 hours a week of employment from June-August. This position is entitled to our Sick Leave B Plan. Saturday Academy employees receive discounts on programming for their immediate family.