Type:Full time non-exempt
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 5 PM
Salary: $33,000-45,000 DOE; includes full health, dental, disability and 401k benefits
The mission of Saturday Academy is to engage students in learning with sufficient depth that they will become life-long learners. We provide out-of-school time hands-on classes and summer day camps, after-school programs and a high school apprenticeship program in science and engineering. The instructors are experts in their fields so that children learn that adults are guides to learning and careers. Since it was founded in 1983, Saturday Academy has served over 175,000 students and currently serves approximately 6,000 students each year. Saturday Academy partners with over 60 institutions each year that provide computer and science laboratories, space or mentorships. Saturday Academy is affiliated with the University of Portland and our headquarters are on their campus in North Portland.
The Development Associate will be responsible for the annual grants calendar, including prospect research, proposal development, reports and related deliverables, and grant tracking. Additionally, this position will manage the event logistics for our annual Discovery Luncheon fundraising event and various other Saturday Academy events, as well as collaborate on a variety of annual fund tasks as a member of the Development team. The Development Associate will be supervised by the Development Director and will work closely with the entire Saturday Academy staff.
- Build the annual grants calendar through prospect research.
- Work collaboratively with leadership team to identify fundable projects and match with priorities of granting agencies.
- Prepare grant narratives, application forms, project budgets, and all required content for grant proposals in accordance with requirements and submission deadlines.
- Prepare grant reports and required deliverables meeting requirements and submission deadlines.
- Manage grant calendar and tracking.
- Handle event logistics and manage events on site such as: finalizing and organizing location details, menus and catering, decorations, a-v equipment, event rentals, etc. while working with event vendors and SA staff.
- Assist in annual fund activities such as crafting appeal letters and creating content for donor communications.
- Cultivate and solicit corporate event sponsorships.
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. As a member of a two person team, duties and responsibilities for this position may change based on team member skills and interests.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in a related field and at least two years experience in fund development with a track record in grant procurement.
- Clear and effective writing and editing skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience with database management systems (e.g. Salesforce), Excel and other tracking tools.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- A passion for inspiring students to learn.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including some evening or weekend events.
- Excellent sense of humor.
- Valid drivers license, and own transportation. *(mileage reimbursed)
- Must be able to lift and move boxes of supplies (up to 25 pounds each) and use handcarts to transport supplies in and out of vehicles, storage areas, or classrooms
Applicants should email a single document containing a cover letter and resume, and listing contact information for at least three references to: Angela Glabach-Vu, Development Director at Saturday Academy; email@example.com. Please address in the cover letter how your experience meets the qualifications. This position will remain open until filled.
This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or sexual orientation. Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. A clear background check will be required for employment.