The Saturday Academy offices will be closed on Mon., Aug. 21 so we have the opportunity to experience the eclipse (and add to the traffic - or not). Here's what we'll be doing:
- Angela Glabach-Vu, Development Director: "I’m more than likely staying in Portland and watching the eclipse here with a bunch of opera fans."
- Anna Kelly, Development Associate: "I’ll watch the eclipse in Portland thanks to my free eclipse glasses from the Multnomah County Library!"
- Barbara Miner: Girls Engage Technology Coordinator: "I'm hosting a neighborhood event with glasses and eclipse-inspired refreshments for my son's friends. No travel."
- Julia Soto, ASE Program Director: "I’ll be with my family yurt camping at Beverly Beach to try and see the eclipse - fingers crossed for clear skies!"
- Jeri Janowsky, Executive Director: "I have been in a total eclipse before – Terrific. In the middle of the night, Sunday night (~2am), I plan to drive west and south after checking where there are wildfires to get near “the zone.” I’ll park, take a nap, wake up in time to see the eclipse if I am lucky, and mosey on home despite the Y2K predictions about traffic to help plan Winter/Spring classes! Wish me luck."
- Katie Gibbs, Enrollment & Database Manager: "We are headed to the tulip fields in Woodburn to camp over Sunday night. Packing lots of emergency supplies and food, along with David Sedaris’s new book in audio format. Taking the Prius in the hopes of avoiding running out of gas if worse comes to worse. And of course, we have our NASA-approved eclipse glasses! Hoping for clear skies that morning."
- Lauren Miranda, Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator, Americorps VISTA: " I'm planning on grabbing a lawn chair and heading to the Hawthorne bridge to set up shop and scope out the eclipse!"
- Libby Van Vleet, ASE Program Coordinator: "I'm not totally sure – definitely NOT getting into a car that day! Willing to go anywhere on my bike. At this point, most likely options are viewing in my backyard? At OMSI? On my husband’s office building roof?"
- Melanie Moseley, Communications Manager: "I'm going to Depoe Bay on Friday around midnight in hopes of missing traffic to spend the weekend with friends. My partner's birthday is on the 20th, so we'll be celebrating that day. Then I'll get to spend the eclipse with some of my favorite people on the planet!"
- Michelle DelCarlo, Classes & Camps Co-Director: "I will be spending the day of the eclipse away from the crowds at my house in a far corner of North Portland. I love the idea of watching this once in a lifetime event by walking out my front door and into my yard. Maybe even in my pajamas!"
- Rachael Pecore-Valdez, Classes & Camps Director: "Jaimes and I are going to camp in a friends yard in Sisters, OR. We were asked to bring enough gas for the whole trip, food, water even toilet paper because the town is expecting to run out of everything!"
- Zach Peters, Operations Manager: "I may go up on the roof to watch, but I'm definitely not braving traffic!"
What will you be doing? Post your plans on our Facebook page!