ASE Eligibility Requirements:
To be eligible to apply students must:
- Have not been an ASE intern before. A student may only have one ASE internship during their high school career. This is to ensure that more students are able to participate in the ASE program.
- Be a rising 10th, 11th, or 12th grader (or equivalent).
- Be interested in pursuing a career in math and science, motivated to learn, and prepared to participate in a professional environment.
- Live near our internship locations (usually in the Portland-Metro area, and the Albany/Corvallis/Eugene areas) OR have adult family or friends that you can live with during the summer near our internship locations. (ASE does not provide housing for students and does not allow students to live on their own.) If you apply for positions that are greater than 50 miles from your home address or local address provided on your online application, ASE will remove your application from those positions, even if the position is virtual, because all students are required to attend one in-person ASE event.
- Be residing in the United States at all times of the program (application, internship participation, program closure).
- Have reliable transportation to and from our internship locations. (Public transportation is fine.) ASE does not provide transportation for students.
- Have proof of health insurance.
- Not apply for positions wherein the mentor is a family member. Students are not eligible to be an intern for a mentor who is a family member.
Note: There is no minimum age required for ASE, but some host organizations have age requirements for their positions. For positions with age requirements, applicants must be the minimum age by May 15th.