Title: Executive Director
Status: Full time exempt
Salary range: $95,000 – $105,000 depending on experience, plus excellent benefits
We will begin screening applications after July 5, 2022, at 5:00 pm, and we will start scheduling interviews soon after that. (The position will remain open until filled.)
This Executive Director Opportunity
Saturday Academy has taken this unique time to focus on further simplifying access to programming for underserved and underrepresented youth to better align with the organization's values. This transition involves a shift from relying on program revenue towards securing philanthropic support through grant funding and fundraising efforts. Saturday Academy seeks an invested leader willing to harness the drive of the staff to complete this transformation.
The Executive Director of Saturday Academy will be a collaborative and supportive leader with the capacity to implement the four main objectives of our strategic plan: continue to build equity and inclusion into our programs and organization; ensure sustainable growth; improve and grow the recognition of Saturday Academy and its reputation in the community; expand our partnerships.
This is an exciting chance to work with a highly skilled staff and help in changing the
lives and opportunities for school age students throughout the area. The new director will have the leadership experience, organizational acumen, coaching capability and community and partnership building skills to expand relationships as well as grow the impact of the organization to a wider audience. They will work with an engaged board of directors and a passionate staff to execute our vision to spark curiosity in young people.
About Saturday Academy
Since its founding in 1983 Saturday Academy has helped close to 200,000 young people experience hands-on learning with community specialists. Our classes, such as electronic music, LEGO robotics and animation, are approachable for all students and infuse problem solving concepts in a fun way, allowing us to spark curiosity and support belonging for elementary students and build confidence and promote exploration for middle schoolers. By high school, we build off of students’ innovative thinking and offer internships and career preparation to focus on skill building and refining STEM identities. While students can start our programs at any age, we are intentional about building pathways for students from elementary through high school, capped by our ASE internship program. See our FY21 impact.
Saturday Academy’s office is located on the University of Portland campus, with programs being held throughout the area. With an annual budget of over $1 million, and a staff of 9, the board and staff are firmly committed to the idea of education changing lives and providing opportunities. Being around people who see the possibilities and are energized by the transformations that occur makes this an amazing position.
Qualifications, Experiences and Capacities
The next Executive Director of Saturday Academy will:
- Fully embrace a passion for the mission of creative education, with a commitment to lifelong learning.
- Be an effective public face of Saturday Academy, engaging with potential partners, donors and the community to expand awareness, reach and impact of our programs.
- Know how to manage and lead a $1 million nonprofit organization including budgeting, financial oversight, and marketing.
- Be energized by the prospect of expanding the reach, visibility and programming of Saturday Academy to a more diverse audience through intentional partnerships, effective branding and storytelling.
- Be able to connect with, serve and respond to Saturday Academy families and students.
- Be a clear and equitable decision-maker who works to build agreement through consistency and transparency.
- Understand the role of a leader as being a mentor, while supporting a healthy and inclusive team culture.
- Continue to prioritize our efforts to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and expand our ability to offer education to the widest range of students possible.
- Increase the financial strength of Saturday Academy by securing additional funding through grants, partnerships, and individual donor solicitation.
- Have great listening skills and the ability to seek out, embrace and navigate differing perspectives and lived experiences.
We are committed to having an applicant pool for this position that reflects the diversity of the people we serve, and we highly encourage Black, Indigenous and People of Color to apply.
We know that the best candidates for this job might come from less “traditional” backgrounds, and if this position speaks to you, we encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications. If you’re unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position or how this would be determined, please feel free to contact us at the email listed below to discuss your application.
How to Apply:
Please submit an application packet that includes:
- A cover letter explaining how you have the qualifications, experience, and passion to be the next Executive Director of Saturday Academy. Please also include a description of how you have promoted equity and lessened disparities through your work.
- A detailed resume that speaks to the qualifications listed above.
- The names, contact information, and professional affiliations of four professional references. (We won’t contact your references until we’ve cleared it with you.)
Please send your materials to SA@pagetwopartners.com with “Saturday Academy Executive Director” in the title. Please also email us at this address to request any accommodations you would like made during this hiring process. We will keep your application confidential, and you will soon receive an acknowledgment email.
For further information visit the website at: www.saturdayacademy.org/
The position will remain open until filled. However, we prefer to receive applications by 5:00 p.m. on July 5, 2022, when we will begin reviewing them. Interviews are scheduled to begin the week of July 17, with successive rounds of interviews held the weeks of August 7 and August 14. We project a September start date.
For more information about this position, please contact Jani Iverson of Page Two Partners at SA@pagetwopartners.com. We’ll do our best to respond promptly to all queries and to keep all applicants up to date on how the process unfolds. Thank you!
Click below to download a flyer regarding this opportunity: