Job Title: Summer Instructor for in-person camps
We are looking for instructors in these areas:
- Animation, digital and stop motion
- App Inventor (or other Arduino App Development IDE)
- Animal/Marine Biology
- Coding- beginning programming in Scratch and Python
- Comic Book & Graphic Novel
- Game Maker
- Green Chemistry
- Medical Science
Type: Temporary, Part-Time
Hours: Week-long in-person summer camps will run Monday - Friday the weeks of June 28 -Aug 6, 2021, 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Salary: Volunteer OR $30 per class hour
The mission of Saturday Academy is to engage children through in-depth learning so they may become life-long learners. We provide classes and camps and a high school apprenticeship program in science and engineering (ASE). Since it was founded in 1983, SA has served over 165,000 students and currently serves approximately 6,000 students each year. SA is an independent, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization affiliated with the University of Portland (UP). Instructors bring their real-world expertise and awareness of potential careers to students.
If you have expertise that you would love to pass on to the next generation, but you are not an experienced teacher, we provide resources and professional development workshops to prepare you to be successful. We also recommend volunteering as a Classroom Assistant in our classes to gain experience and confidence.
As a Saturday Academy instructor you are responsible to teach a hands-on, age-appropriate class that engages your students and inspires their curiosity. Instructors prepare class materials and lesson plans with the support of SA staff. Close coordination and communication with Saturday Academy staff is essential.
Successful applicants are required to submit a full background check. We follow Oregon Dept. of Education guidelines including their list of disqualifying crimes.
Please note that we typically hire for classes a few months in advance; we will be hiring for summer 2021 this Feb - April.
- Career experience in the field to be taught (academic or corporate sector)
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity, with experience working in racially diverse settings
- A passion for inspiring children to learn
- Training in culturally-relevant and inclusive teaching, and awareness of trauma-informed teaching
- Experience with hands-on and inquiry-based learning
- Post-baccalaureate experience, advanced degree or comparable experience
- Send a resume and note (email is fine) specifically addressing the qualifications above as well as your availability to teach to email@example.com.